Latest – One of the U.S. team’s alternate or back-up gymnasts has tested positive for the coronavirus, but the main team has moved to separate accommodation and continues to prepare for the Olympics, USA Gymnastics said on Monday.
A Japanese official previously said a member of the U.S. gymnastics delegation in his teens tested positive and had close contact, but declined to give further details.
He added that the local government had determined that the athlete, whose name was not given, and another replacement athlete were to undergo additional quarantine, so the rest of the team moved into other accommodation and will continue to prepare for the Games. .
Several Japanese media have said that a simple saliva test reported the affected athlete as suspected positive on Sunday, and this was confirmed by a more detailed PCR test on Monday.
The Olympics, postponed for a year due to the coronavirus, open on July 23 and gymnastics competitions begin on July 24. The women’s qualifying rounds start on July 25.
Koroibete free to play rugby championship
Wallaby Marika Koroibete is free to play again after her red card was canceled in Saturday’s decisive victory over France, allowing her to take part in the Bledisloe Cup tests next month.
Koroibete had been suspended for several matches after being sent off in the fifth minute of the 33-30 game at Lang Park for a high tackle on France captain Anthony Jelonch.
As Jelonch crouched in the tackle and grabbed his face as he fell, the red card sparked criticism from Wallabies coach Dave Rennie, who accused the French skipper of cheating on the penalty.
A statement from World Rugby said their primary contact process was not followed due to mitigating factors and the act of foul play was secondary.
“Based on this, the committee did not uphold the red card and the player is free to replay immediately,” he said.
If convicted, Koroibete faced a suspension of at least six weeks before a reduction could be granted for mitigating factors.
He would likely have missed Australia’s next three Bledisloe Cup tests against the All Blacks from Eden Park on August 7.
Hamilton cop abuse
Lewis Hamilton was the victim of racist abuse online after winning the British Grand Prix, with social media company Facebook claiming to have deleted a number of comments on Instagram.
The seven-time world champion celebrated a record-breaking eighth British Grand Prix victory at Silverstone after defending a 10-second penalty for a first-round collision that ended with title rival Max Verstappen in the hospital.
The 36-year-old Mercedes driver was targeted online hours after the victory, with racist messages including monkey emojis sent in response to a post from his Mercedes team on Instagram.
“The racist abuse directed at Hamilton during and after the British Grand Prix is unacceptable and we have removed a number of comments from Instagram,” a spokesperson for Instagram owner Facebook said in a statement. .
In a joint statement, Mercedes, Formula 1 and motorsport’s governing body, the FIA, condemned the abuses against Hamilton and called for penalties for those responsible.
A Japanese musician resigns a few days before the opening ceremony.
Japanese musician Keigo Oyamada resigned as composer for the Tokyo 2020 opening ceremony after old reports of his intimidating and violent behavior resurfaced, days before the official start of the affected Olympics by the pandemic.
Oyamada, who had been tasked with composing the music for the ceremony scheduled for July 23, has come under fire in recent weeks after previous issues of the magazines began circulating online.
Oyamada told Quick Japan magazine published in 1995 how he locked a classmate in a cardboard box and made fun of a disabled student, the Asahi Shimbun daily reported last week. He also described the bullying of a classmate in another magazine published in the mid-1990s, according to the newspaper.
Some media accounts of the interviews contain references to degrading and abusive treatment, including Oyamada forcing one or more other children to eat feces or masturbate. Reuters could not independently verify the interviews, although alleged photos of the magazine’s pages circulated widely on social media.
“Regarding my participation in the Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games, I have a strong feeling that accepting the request lacked consideration for various people,” Oyamada said on his Twitter page.
“I have made arrangements with the parties concerned and tendered my resignation to the organizing committee.”