Steve Aoki officially became the first dance music artist to be recognized by the Asian Hall of Fame. Aoki, who is Japanese, is considered the first Asian DJ and music producer to become a global celebrity in EDM.
The induction ceremony on November 13 will also honor nine other Asian pioneers, including Indra Nooyi, the first CEO of a Fortune 50 company to identify as a woman, a person of color and an immigrant; and Ken Jeong, the actor and comedian known for his roles in The hangover, Crazy Rich Asians, and Community, among many others.
The 2021 cohort will join distinguished names like Bruce Lee, Connie Chung, Kristi Yamaguchi and Daniel Dae Kim, who have all been inducted in recent years.
Founded in 2004, Asian Hall of Fame is a global leader in promoting Asian excellence and racial equity. The organization is also a strong supporter of the Stop Asian Hate movement. Initiatives include trauma recovery, advancing media equity and early career development. Aoki himself took the campaign under his wing, releasing a âStop Asian Hateâ product line earlier this year.
Check out the full list of 2021 Asian Hall of Fame inductees below, listed alphabetically.
- Steve Aoki: The first Asian DJ producer to achieve worldwide recognition in electronic dance music and son of Benihana Hiroaki’s founder âRockyâ Aoki.
- Tani Cantil-Sakauye: California’s first Filipino-American female chief justice.
- Phil Chen: Jamaican Order of Distinction bassist for Eric Clapton, Bob Marley, Robby Krieger, other legends.
- Ren Hanami: Japanese-Hawaiian actress and national chairperson of the Asia-Pacific American Media Committee SAG-AFTRA.
- Ken Jeong: Actor, comedian, producer, physician, and advocate for Asian portrayal in national narratives.
- Sumi Jo: legendary coloratura and first Asian soprano nominated for the Oscar for best song. Korea’s first classical musician and national inductee.
- Nancy Kwan: ââwinner of the Lifetime Achievement Award. First icon of Eurasian cinema in Hollywood, winner of a Golden Globe Award and cousin of winner Kevin Kwan.
- Brandon Lee (in memoriam): martial artist, actor and son of inductee Bruce Lee.
- Dr Linda Liau: brain cancer vaccine pioneer, first Asian woman president of a neurosurgery program.
- Indra Nooyi: Former President and CEO of PepsiCo. First woman, person of color and immigrant CEO of a Fortune 50 company. Author of My whole life memory and first Indian enthroned.
FOLLOW STEVE AOKI: